No Electricity, No Wires, No Problem.
Code compliant solutions, UL 924 listed
Need Help? Simply Call
There are two types of non-electrical exit signs, photoluminescent (charges by absorbing light) and self-luminous which emit light from tritium gas filled tubes. There are strengths to using either but if you don't have consistent ambient lighting above 5 foot candles available to charge the photoluminescent sign it comes down to one choice, self luminous. Self luminous signs are available in two life spans, 10 years and 20 years, which means that you don't need to run wires nor provide any additional power in order for these lights to shine for 10 to 20 years. If you do have the required ambient lighting, typical in airports, hospitals, and residential building hallways, for example, then photoluminescent can be a great choice, especially for low level exit signs. See our FAQs on photoluminescent and self luminous exit signs down below the page.
Non-Electrical Exit Signs
UL924 75ft Rated Viewing Distance, Charges using ambient light
Buy your EEPS series today at the low price of $126
UL924 100ft Rated Viewing Distance, Charges using ambient light
Buy your EEPL100 series today at the low price of $225
Self Luminous Non-Electrical Tritium Exit Sign Series: EESL
- Non-electrically driven light source.
- Indoor or outdoor locations where access to electricity is difficult or costly.
- Areas where very cold temperatures may be present.
- Modular walls or temporary installations such as Museum or art exhibits where exit routes may be non-permanently altered.
- For use in areas where water may be present.
- For use in areas where fumes or vapors may be present that require exit signage and where an electrical spark could be a source of ignition.
- For use in areas where a UL924 Listed 100ft rated Exit Sign is required and a lower brightness exit sign is preferred (Commonly used in movie theaters).
- Suitable for use in Clean Room applications.
Buy your EESL series today at the low price of $265
Requires No-Electricity to illuminate, Code-Compliant
illumination: The Helios PF absorbs light and discharges when the ambient lighting drops such as during a black out. During this period, the sign's photoluminescent letters illuminate green and will continue to do so for at least 90 minutes. It is very bright. To charge, the sign requires a minimum of 5fc on the face of the sign.
Buy your EEPF series today at the low price of $100
Non-Electrical Exit Sign with Brushed Aluminum Face Featuring UL924 Photoluminescent 50ft Viewing Distance: Series: EESP
- Non-electrical illumination design
- No Moving parts
- No Maintenance besides keeping the faceplate clean
- No Batteries
- No Conduit
- No Generators.
Description: Made in America UL924 50 foot rated viewing distance, non-electrical, photoluminescent exit sign with an aluminum body and framing system designed for quick and easy top, side, or back mounting.
Buy your EESP series today at the low price of $130
Frequent Questions about Self Luminous and Photoluminescent Exit Signs
- Do battery powered exit signs exist? The answer is there are signs that do run on rechargeable batteries however, these batteries are intended for backup power situations, meaning these signs are powered by electricity primarily and then failover to batteries when electricity is not present. We have have many of these types under our LED exit signs section. This "battery powered exit sign" concept though is not the same as with photoluminescent or self luminous exit signs because these two types of signs don't have circuitry and don't have lamps to become illuminated, therefore there is nothing for a battery to power. Self luminous exit signs are powered by a gas-filed tube that emits a beta particle that excites a phosphor coating causing the tube to glow the color of the phosphor. Pholuminescent signs are different and they use an industrial-grade strontium oxide based pigment which stores light energy and emits it in when placed in lower lighting levels such as when there is a power outage. These signs are not as bright as electrical signs during typical settings because they don't have lamps or circuits, but can be very bright in darkness over the required 90 minutes duration.
- What do I need to use photoluminescent exit signs? You need a minimum of 5fc of ambient lighting consistently shining on the face of the sign during building occupancy. This light source needs to be not switched or not available to the public to turn on or off. The light source needs to be either unfiltered fluorescent, LED, metal halide, or mercury vapor.
- What do I do with my expired tritium exit signs? Contact us and we can arrange for them to be recycled. We also run a promotional discount on recycling when purchasing a new replacement sign.
Protecting Those Who Serve